Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo sizes

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJHewitt
    Hello all,

As you may or may not remember, I eventually bought an Olympus C765,

The thing I have noticed (and which suprised me) is the slow reaction time in taking a picture from when I press the wotsit until the camera actually seems to take the picture. Is there anything I can do about this and do I need to do any of the above, ie. changing settings etc.?

Many thanks from a plonker who loves taking good pictures but hasn't a clue how to work the equipment.

ps. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Kaz[msnscared]
    [/quote]

Hi Kaz. I have this problem with my Olympus, I press the wotsit and count to three, I always have to tell people who take snaps for me, otherwise they are giving me the camera back while it is still thinking.

This is a reason I moved to a Fuji which is very fast, Ho Hum!

Happy New Year[msnsmile2]
    Dave [msnsmile2]

We also have a Fuji, and this is usually instant, the agfa we had a couple of years ago sometimes took up to 10 seconds before it finally took the picture [msnsad]
    Darren

http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1107.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for all the advice - unfortunately I don't understand a lot of the technical terms [msneek]. Guess I'll stick with the setting I've got it on as they have been great when I've printed them out. We're taking a laptop with us so I can download them every night and free up space on the memory stick.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fletch
    Thanks for all the advice - unfortunately I don't understand a lot of the technical terms [msneek]. Guess I'll stick with the setting I've got it on as they have been great when I've printed them out. We're taking a laptop with us so I can download them every night and free up space on the memory stick.
    [/quote]

This often works well for 'tourist photos'. Most Digital Cameras come with a factory default setting that is 'fine' or 'extra fine' JPEG that is designed to give just enough compression (and hence allow adequate number of pics to be taken with a given card), but not so compressed as to affect quality. This achieves a sort of compromise and the resultant prints should give very good results for standard 6"x4" or 7"x5" prints.
    Nostromo

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jolliffee
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by KJHewitt
    Hello all,

As you may or may not remember, I eventually bought an Olympus C765,

The thing I have noticed (and which suprised me) is the slow reaction time in taking a picture from when I press the wotsit until the camera actually seems to take the picture. Is there anything I can do about this and do I need to do any of the above, ie. changing settings etc.?

Many thanks from a plonker who loves taking good pictures but hasn't a clue how to work the equipment.

ps. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Kaz[msnscared]
    [/quote]

Hi Kaz. I have this problem with my Olympus, I press the wotsit and count to three, I always have to tell people who take snaps for me, otherwise they are giving me the camera back while it is still thinking.

This is a reason I moved to a Fuji which is very fast, Ho Hum!

Happy New Year[msnsmile2]
    [/quote]

Now you all tell me! Does any know if it would make a difference putting it on the sport mode?
    KJH

Gold 5 Star Member
    It might do Kaz, and wouldn't hurt to try.

What the camera will be doing in the background for sport mode will be trying to maximise the shutter speed in order to freeze any moving objects.

If it is a slow reacting autofocus or electronics it might not make much difference.

Alas I think you are starting to see the difference between a budget vs. expensive camera. They both might have the same number of megapixels (which seems to be the headline metric by which everyone advertises) but there is tons of other stuff that goes on in the background; something ultimately has to give to get these things into the shops at the price they are at.
    Steve

Florida Chatterbox
    My camera is second hand so I never got to read the instructions!!!!

I don't even know if you can change the setting!!!, it is an Olympus c-960zoom, 1.3 megapixel which is these days quite pi** poor, although I am still happy with the quality of my photos, if I ever work out how to do it, might put one on here as I know there are a couple of guys who know what they are talking about when it comes to photography!!!

We bought a memory card whilst in Orlando last 128mb and we can get about 550 pictures on there, is the quality reduced depending on the amount of space you use?

Many thanks from a complete dunce!!!

Anita
    Anita

Hi Anita. If your happy with your pictures then that's all that matters. I was at a NY do with friends and one of them had the same camera as you; he had purchased it in Orlando ages ago but it still does the job for him. As to your question it is a case of less equals more, the larger the save picture the more information is stored so in your case always go for the max amount. Doing the sums in my head (still hurts from NY so not a good idea really) it looks like you may be set at a lower resolution maybe 500k; check it out and make sure you are set at the 1.3. I think you should get about 350 at 1.3 on a 128mb card.[msnwink]
    Dave [msnsmile2]

Florida Expert
    Hi Steve,

I wish you had been about when I was asking about cameras. I hadn't a clue what to go for..............so asked for advice on this forum. I like the idea of the zoom on the c765, as I take a lot of sports pictures for the school and my childrens teams. My other digital cameras have a quicker reaction time than the Olympus.

Really good quality photos as long as the subject doesn't move!

Kaz[msnscared]
    KJH

Gold 5 Star Member
    I do sympathise with you Kaz. I tried photographing the shows at Sea World with my little Canon last August and I've got tons of photos of dolphins just heading back into the water rather than smiling nicely at the top of their jump.
    Steve