Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

View Poll Results: Larger passengers

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO

30 25.42%
  • YES

58 49.15%
  • POSSIBLY, DEPENDING ON WEIGHT

30 25.42%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Larger passengers

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
    i honestly believe that as a fatty but trying hard not to be, if i spilt over into the other persons seat then i should pay for what i am using " 2 seats!" oh crikey better try a bit harder on my diet![msnwink]
    [/quote]

Liesa on your next trip to Florida you'll fit in your seat no bother at all. I know you will
    Julie

Florida Chatterbox
    I just wanted to say sorry[msnsad] I think I had taken CDV's entirely sensible poll the wrong way!!

I would be the first to admit that I would not want someone spilling over into my seat and yes I would expect them to pay more.

I am just being wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too sensitive here, so please ignore me.

I am a nice person really honest[msnembarrased][msnembarrased][msnembarrased]
    Anita

Gold 5 Star Member
    According to statistics, the UK has about 10 - 15% of the population who are clinically obese. So, would the airlines risk losing the business from that percentage of the population if they decided to discriminate against people who were overweight? Would it be legal do so anyway? I'm sure that there must be an EU directive somewhere that says they can't do this since they seem to have introduced some silly laws about what we can call some traditional food items in the UK!

Would being overweight come under the heading of 'disability'? If you can't lose weight, I suppose it might - in which case, there are disability anti-discrimination laws in the UK, Europe and the USA.

If you don't physically fit into one seat, then that's an entirely different matter in my opinion.

What if you happen to be underweight? Would you expect to get a discount? If there are lots of kids on a particular flight, would that make everyone's flight cheaper because there's less overall weight and there are some savings to be made on fuel use?
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    Anita - I didn't read anything you said as being an over the top reaction - well apart from wanting to shoot CDV [msnwink]

I think we all know you well enough to know you are indeed (like all of us on here) a lovely person [msnsmile]
    Julie

Florida Expert
    anita. i think i mightve put the bullets into the gun. ie the idea for cdv's poll cos i messing on the other thread about excess baggage, but when you think about it, if somebody is so big that they spill over the seat on both sides, i strongly disagree that they shoild have to buy 2 seats.

i think they should buy 3, cos its not right to hang out in the aisle - they couldnt get the drinks trolley thru![msnwink][msnwink][msnsmile2]
    Trev

Florida Expert
    What would happen if all the people turned up for the flight were 'supersized Americans' (or any nationality for that matter).
    Would the additional weight per person x 500 have an adverse effect on the plane?

Does the extra weight means more fuel used so it is costing me in higher ticket prices because of higher running costs?

Just thoughts (ducks and covers)

Brizzle.

Florida Expert
    I think this is a valid question and i voted yes for this reason.

I am 6'4" and weigh approx 16.5 stone. Because of this i just can not fly in an ordinary economy seat, i have to pay for a legroom seat or upgrade to premium. I pay for premium reluctantly, not because i want to fly better than the folk behind the curtain, just purely for legroom and comfort.

This is my penalty for been tall, so why not have "extra bodyroom" seats, for people who are a little bit wider than normal.

Good question CDV,

Neil
    Neil & Kay

Here are some interesting views.............

WEIGHING IN: Dan Fitzpatrick's front-page story, "Weighty matter pits passengers against airlines," March 13, struck a nerve with travelers across the country. Some readers wrote letters sympathetic to Michael Gigliotti, a 300-pound Murrysville dentist who was required to buy two seats on a Southwest Arilines flight because of his large frame. Others praised Southwest for it "Customer of Size" policy and expressed their irriration at paying for a full seat and having to share it with an overweight neighbor. A spokesman for Southwest Airlines wrote, too, defending the policy but suggesting the issue should be blown out of proportion because it applies to only 0.0005 percent of Southwest's customers. Dr. Gigliotti suggests airlines could solve the problem by offering a few wide seats to large passengers on every flight.

Bravo, Southwest

Daniel Marsula, Post-Gazette
    Click illustration for larger image.

The tone of your article seems to denounce the airline for its actions in requesting this obese fellow purchase a second seat. I applaud this action. Why should a fit person next to this man have him encroach on their space?

The idea that it's okay as long as he can physically wedge himself between the armrests is ludicrous. I too would feel cheated if I were in the seat next to him.

I've now made a mental note that Southwest is making an honest effort to be fair to all passengers, and not cater to pressure from a special interest group (which, being obese is just not that special in my opinion).

NATHAN SIMONS
    Orlando, Fla.

Try getting in shape

I read your piece on the overweight passenger with great interest. I log over 100,000 miles a year flying from here to there and have had to suffer by being wedged in the middle seat between a window and an overweight passenger.

How sad for America that we continue to make excuse after excuse for our growing obesity. We are fat and getting fatter. Those of us who have enough concern about our health and physical appearance should not be punished because the guy next to us won't do the same. If consumers who argue about having to pay for an extra seat spent as much energy researching healthy eating habits and the location of their local fitness centers, maybe they wouldn't need to feel the "humiliation" of having someone point out the obvious -- that is, that they are overweight.

I, for one, am sick and tired of having to accommodate people who don't have enough respect for themselves to take care of their health.

My suggestion to overweight consumers: Buy a first-class ticket so you have a seat wide enough for you, but don't torture the rest of us in coach.

M. HERNANDEZ
    Miami

Obesity is an epidemic

I was very encouraged to see an article about obesity-related issues on the front page of the Sunday paper. This issue is so very important; even now, I think most people greatly underestimate what the costs to society of this problem will eventually be.

I think it would be great if you could do an article about the causes for so many people being so much bigger now. The obesity epidemic has really taken off in the past 20 to 30 years. There are a variety of reasons being identified. The two that personally interest me the most are the way our food environment has changed (fast foods, processed foods, sugary beverages, huge portions, relentless advertising, etc.) and the prevalence of addictive eating in our population.

I am a therapist who treats compulsive eaters, and the biggest challenge I face in doing this work is the fact that compulsive eating, though it affects so many in our population, remains under the radar. If you can do something to raise awareness about this, it would be a public service of great importance.

The issue of out-of-control weight and eating has ramifications for the health of our society and our economy that are only beginning to be understood. It is vitally important that we slow the momentum of this thing as soon as possible, bec

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
    Of course, I was outraged and started to question the supervisor myself in a very angry manner. I was then rudely told by the skycap that I had no right at all to be angry and that if I didn't calm down he would have me arrested.

I am a U.S. Army veteran who served during the Persian Gulf war, and to have a skycap attempt to deny me my First Amendment right to freedom of expression only made me angrier.
    [/quote]

This made me laugh a little - I love the way some Americans think they have a "contsitutional right" to do just about anything!!!!!

I didn't know there was a First Amendment Right to shout at Airline Staff! [msnwink]

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by millie
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
    Of course, I was outraged and started to question the supervisor myself in a very angry manner. I was then rudely told by the skycap that I had no right at all to be angry and that if I didn't calm down he would have me arrested.

I am a U.S. Army veteran who served during the Persian Gulf war, and to have a skycap attempt to deny me my First Amendment right to freedom of expression only made me angrier.
    [/quote]

This made me laugh a little - I love the way some Americans think they have a "contsitutional right" to do just about anything!!!!!

I didn't know there was a First Amendment Right to shout at Airline Staff! [msnwink]
    [/quote]

Yeah but could you imagine a porter at Gatwick telling you you are too fat and have to buy two seats, b l ** d y check, it's not his place at all![msneek]
    CDV