Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it all bad news

Florida Newbie
    If you are over here in Davenport already then I can recommend a Visa Attorney in Tampa if you want. He did mine.

Florida Expert
    Hi
    I've been reading the posts on here.
    I've lived here since the mid 80s. Texas, Nevada, Ohio, and now Central Florida.
    If you are relocating here from the UK, read all the posts here ten times over. Then read them again. These people know what they are talking about.
    It's not like living in The United Kingdom. It's not like being on vacation.
    Insurance will cripple you. I'm now a US Citizen and still pay high Florida Insurance rates. Think carefully about where you want to live. The Insurance Companies are cancelling home owner policies left and right. And most companies are increasing new policies by up to 300%. If you move here during hurricane season no company will write a new policy when a named hurricane is in exsistance!
    My car insurance is over $2000 a year. And we are both in our 40s with clean driving records.
    Dont even think about being here without Health Insurance.
    Understand, Florida, as a State, is really backward. We lived in Ohio before here and are still amazed how redneck Florida really is. Most tourists only see International Drive, and the Disney parks. Go to Sanford, or further north to the Daytona area. Its a real southern state! By that I mean, the infastructure is shakey at best. Expect your power to go out at least once a month. If you have anyone comming over to fix an appliance, or service your cable, don't expect them to be even near on time. The only reliable thing is the mail!
    I'm a part time licensed Real Estate Agent here. I can tell you that Orlando prices are through the roof! It's a buyers market for sure. Too many people are trying to cash in their equity and there's just not enough buyers out there. To give you an example, this time last year we had around 6000 listings in the Orange and Seminole County area. Right now, today, there are over 26000! Prices have started to drop, but they are still high.

There are posatives! Really! Having a pool in one's backyard is lovely. Bering able to drive to the beach in 30 minutes rules. There are opertunities everywhere. You just have to work hard. No three week vacations in the USA. You'll get a long weekend at best. But isn't that the Amereican Dream? Work hard and enjoy your rewards.
    Oh, one more thing. Think about retirement. Here you won't get a state pension. It's up to you to save and invest.

As an American, I welcome anyone here who is willing and able to work hard and contribute to the life and culture that I've grown to love.
    And we do get all the British soccer! Bright House channel 128.
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

Gold 5 Star Member
    I would say to people think outside the box....I've just driven up the East coast from our place in FL...and coming back to New England is like coming home...FL is nice...I love my home there and my nighbours...but other parts of the USA knocks it into a tin hat...its a place to think about retiring too...a place to live when you have time to travel or have lived other places first...I would of hated to have missed out on the rest of the USA because I was working my butt off all the time in FL....and that is what most Brits do...

Hi Graeme

You are doing what is necessary and researching evrything. You will go with your gut instinct when the time is right. The best of British Luck and hope whatever you decide, you will be happy, healthy and successful.

Sandra

Gold 5 Star Member
    If it 'must' be Florida then certainly look at places other than the Orlando area. My place is 60 miles from Orlando and most of my American neighbours haven't been to the Theme Parks for many years - the couple of times I have been in recent years is only to take visitors.

There are much nicer parts of Florida with cheaper housing and a lot less traffic.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I think I would have to agree and for other reasons. A recent article in Emigrate USA said the consul general, in answer to the newspapers questions, stated that 94 percent of the 3000 E2 applications get approved. Being on the ground in Orlando, I hear things and there seems to be a far higher percentage of denials here than that would suggest, which makes me think that possibly it is harder to get a business here through than it is in other parts of the US?
    Julie

Florida Newbie
    Hello Graeme,

This is my first attempt so bear with me as I am learning the correct protocol!

I have recently been referred to this site and, I am bound to say, that I wish it were available when my wife and I moved to Sarasota in 1991. I have been through E2, L1 and H1B but now currently flip-flop between Sarasota and England. Now that Ms Olsen heads up things in US Embassy in Grosvenor Square it does appear that a considerable number of British nationals are having their E2 applications and, in some cases renewals, denied, deferred pending receipt of information that, according to some applicants, was supplied with the original package of information (duly bound and labelled). From what I have seen and been informed by reliable sources there is a steady increase in denials for strong applicants who wish to purchase good businesses with documented financial information that meet and, in some cases, exceed the necessary criteria for E2 approval.

From what I have seen and heard, this problem only exists with Grosvenor Square, British nationals who reside in other countries appear to 'sail through' with little or no problems in a very short period of time ie less than 1 month from mailing application to visas in passport and then resident in the United States. It does, therefore, seem unfair as Britain is supposed to be a 'special friend' of the US, this is not reflected in the way we are treated in comparison to the millions of illegals. Here you are looking to invest substantial funds in the US, employ US citizens and have an economic impact on the area in which you purchase or start your business - questions do need to be asked, if Association of Immigration Attorneys have not done so they should.

Just a couple of suggestions for you to ponder:

I did not see an age quoted for Callum, as previously mentioned elswhere, the E2 is not a 'family friendly' visa and, dependent upon further education, once the age of majority is reached a child of an E2 visa holder will be 'Out of Status' - give this aspect very serious consideration.

Again, mentioned elswhere but very important. You own a vacation home already but to limit your search to an area surrounding your home severely limits the choice of business, paticularly as many people in your situation are looking to do the same thing. The most important consideration is to find a good viable business that you feel, with your 30 years of banking bankground, will be suitable for you to mananage. Do also understand, if your wife has any specific skills that may be benficial to running a Florida business, you may seek work authorisation and obtain a position with a Florida bank, just a thought.

I am sure with your banking skills you will find it reasonably easy to understand US Tax Returns, however, there is no substitute for professional opinion from a CPA as to the financials and, possibly, the value of the proposed business. Due Diligence is always banded about but it is very important to undertake personally before signing a purchase contract or at least make it a condition of the contract that you can withdraw of you are not satisfied as to the fact that the revenue or any other financial matter is as reported. Finally, there is more but I think I have said enough for the time being, DO NOT agree to purchase any business without including the condition 'subject to approval of an E2 visa by the US Embassy in London' you will be required to deposit the full purchase proceeds in Escrow prior to formal application but you will be covered should the application be denied. As a result of this and also the extended timescale for the whole process (even greater since the beginning of the year) many owners of good viable businesses do not wish to sell to a British E2 applicant for that reason, if the business is sound an American will buy without the aggravation.

I hope this is not too much 'doom and gloom' but it should make you think about things carefully

Ian K

Gold 5 Star Member
    It is certainly true that the London embassy is the one where all the current problems are. I know of a case where a large management co was split into two and two identical halves sold, one to a British soldier stationed in Germany who filed in Germany and the other to a Brit living in the UK who filed in London. The former got through easily in just a few weeks, the latter was eventually turned down after many months. Does that tell you something? Unfortuantely you have to file in the place where you normally reside.
    Julie

We got caught up in this trapm when it started, we ended up going through Mexico without any problems. Although I think that loophole is now closed.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
    It is certainly true that the London embassy is the one where all the current problems are. I know of a case where a large management co was split into two and two identical halves sold, one to a British soldier stationed in Germany who filed in Germany and the other to a Brit living in the UK who filed in London. The former got through easily in just a few weeks, the latter was eventually turned down after many months. Does that tell you something? Unfortuantely you have to file in the place where you normally reside.
    [/quote]

Florida Newbie
    For reasons that are currently unknown, the US Embassy in London is making life extremely difficult for British nationals seeking to move to the US or even obtain the B1/B2 visa. I heard last week that a British couple were granted a B1/B2 in London but it was annotated with " Not eligible for change of status". They appear to be blocking many of the loopholes which can be used to circumvent a London application and/or interview. Therefore, even with ownership of a Florida villa (traditionally good grounds for B1/B2 visa) questions are asked at interview why you need more than 90 days available on the Visa Waiver scheme, if you are in full time employment and/or have children of school age, this becomes very difficult to justify.

If you are still serious about pursuing a move to Florida via the E2 route it may be prudent to continue using the Visa Waiver whilst undertaking your research and search for a suitable qualifying business. As you already own a property in Florida you have good cause to visit on a frequent basis, extended visits will become an issue as all your movements "in and out' will be recorded on the computer and an astute Immigration Officer may pick up a pattern and restrict or, worse case, deny future entry to the US. (This is where you stay for the 90 day duration of the Visa Waiver go out of the country for a few days or weeks and return to the US - such action could well have serious ramifications later if and and when you submit an application for an E2 visa.

Ian K