Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Customs allowance

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
    "We've booked with Virgin for our New Year Trip and the notes say we can have 2 suitcases each weighing no more than 32kgs each therefore 64kgs per person."

It depends when you booked your tickets, from 1st April the allowance for economy was decreased to 2 x 23 kgs from 2 x 32kgs. If you booked before then they told me you will get the full allowance.

[/quote]

We booked in january and i notice their website now says 23kg.

Doesn't bother me too much as i've usually only had 20KG per person in the past on charters.

Florida Newbie
    [8]Does any 1 know when Duty free/Customs allowance increase coming into effect?[8] I was under the illusion that it was to increase to £1000 2 yrs ago.(I gess The EU have more pressing things to do Any how I think I read some where that Gordon Brown got us a deal upto £340 for outside the E.U[msncool] Any 1 have more info?[grouphug]

Gold 5 Star Member
    UK Customs website has duty free at £145.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document
    blott

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    As Blott says the UK Customs website says £145 but this article is from Nov 06--A puzzle methinks??

Duty-free allowance to double
    This is Money
    28 November 2006, 4:58pm
    Reader comments (2)
    Duty-free allowances are to be doubled for people returning from outside the EU, it was announced tonight.

The move, agreed by European finance ministers in Brussels, means that shopping trips to cities such as New York could become even cheaper.

Chancellor Gordon Brown welcomed the rise, which comes after 12 years of the allowance being frozen at £145. The new rate will be £290 - approximately $560.

Brown said: 'I'm pleased for all British holiday-makers that we have been able to double the tax-free allowance for people returning from outside the EU.

'We have campaigned long and hard for the updating of this allowance, which has not been reviewed since 1994, and we will continue to campaign for a further increase at the next review in four years' time.'

The meeting in Brussels today was attended by Paymaster General Dawn Primarolo, and [u]the change should be in place by next summer. </u>

Last week, European judges ruled that online and mail-order shoppers should not be allowed to buy cut-price cigarettes and alcohol from anywhere in the EU.

It had been feared that the Treasury could have lost billions in revenue if the decision had gone the other way.