Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Card Lottery Application????

Gold 5 Star Member
    Fiona, Cyprus is on the list of nationalities able to apply and it says you need to be born there, even if you are a national of another country (so presumably it says he was born in Cyprus on his birth certificate?). As long as one of you was born there, it would seem to apply to both of you as long as both of you enter the USA at the same time.

Check out the info on the third website I posted above for full details. It also tells you how to apply for free although you've just missed this year's application date!
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    Lucky b----r, Fiona!!! Mind you, the chances of winning are about the same as getting three numbers up on the lottery and I have not done that for a while. I read somewhere that because they get so many dud forms in ( sorry John!!), your chance is about one in 50. It is not impossible though as I know a number of people who have won it. Woman who lived across the road at my previous house ( Irish) won it and they all disappeared off, then the owner of our local Chinese chippie ( Chinese orgin I presume) did the same.
    Julie

Place of birth: Nicosia

Guess where we haven't been able to go on holiday? Cyprus (because they would have called him up!!) Turkey and now northern Cyprus.

I expect now he's 51 no-one would be interested in him for call-up purposes any more!

Hadn't thought of applying I must admit. Do they need another bathroom distributor / importer? Can one run a business supplying half of the UK from the US I wonder?

Perhaps another time!

Just looked at the site - and his mother was born in Hong Kong!
    Fiona

Gold 5 Star Member
    Fiona, as the only person I've known with eligibility to apply, you're saying that you don't want to?

Crumbs, it doesn't cost anything (apart from some photos and postage to USA) and you can always say no if you happen to win it and don't want to go. You apply between October - November 2003 for the 2005 lottery so it's not next week.

If it was me, I'd put in for it anyway and see how I felt if and when I won it, but each to their own I guess!
    blott

With green card you can do whta you like. even doss around on social security...

quote:Originally posted by fiona

Place of birth: Nicosia

Guess where we haven't been able to go on holiday? Cyprus (because they would have called him up!!) Turkey and now northern Cyprus.

I expect now he's 51 no-one would be interested in him for call-up purposes any more!

Hadn't thought of applying I must admit. Do they need another bathroom distributor / importer? Can one run a business supplying half of the UK from the US I wonder?

Perhaps another time!

Just looked at the site - and his mother was born in Hong Kong!

Administrator
    We applied at the same time as John and Sarah - Carolyn was born In Germany, so we could apply twice - once for Carolyn, and once for me. The site we used was the official site the same as John - they do charge, but the charge is for having the facility to apply on-line and to track the progress of the application, and also to verify eligibility. Our forms have been successfully received and validated by the INS.

When we applied, we discussed this with John and Sarah, as we were surprised that it clearly said UK was not excluded (in contradiction to other non-official sites) and it did validate John and Sarah as being eligible. As John says, the same site now states UK as being non-eligible as we first expected.

I think J&S have a good case for their money back.

The results of the lottery are announced between April and July 2003.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Well, just to add to the confusion, I just tried out the website you used John and Roger http://www.usais.org and input my details saying that myself, my husband and my parents were all born in the UK and it also says

Congratulations
    You are a qualified applicant for the Green Card Lottery Program!

I think there is some serious problem with this site. This is particularly so as payment is required, which they will not be able to collect if they tell you the truth, ie that unless you, your spouse or parents were born outside the UK (excluding Eire or Northern Ireland) you're not eligible. Whether it's an internet scam to collect money or is an error, I think John and Sarah have an extremely strong case for a refund.
    blott

Administrator
    I don't think it is a scam as it is the official Immigration Service site for the US, so on that basis I think they would happily give a refund as it is a clear error on their part. If the site was one of the many other sites that charge for processing of the forms then thay might be a different story.

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote: I don't think it is a scam as it is the official Immigration Service site for the US
    Roger, sorry this is probably a very stupid question, but how do you know that? Seems a bit odd that something that official would be offering an affiliate program, a link back service to other websites and only has a PO Box address?
    blott

Its the official website. They must have some bugs as I noticed one or two things wrong.

Martin

quote:Originally posted by blott

quote: I don't think it is a scam as it is the official Immigration Service site for the US
    Roger, sorry this is probably a very stupid question, but how do you know that? Seems a bit odd that something that official would be offering an affiliate program, a link back service to other websites and only has a PO Box address?